Saturday, December 7, 2013

Sartorial Challenge - The husband's work Xmas party

Next week is my husband's work Christmas party. Now that is a fashion challenge if I ever knew of one. 
He works in the *illustrious* Detroit Auto Industry, which is OLD SKOOL. STUFFY. CONSERVATIVE. BOYS CLUB. Much exactly like it was when Don & Roger went to woo the Big 3 on Mad Men. See what they are wearing below? That is exactly what they wear now. No changes.


And as a reflection of that attitude and way of life, the wives of the men that Stonewash works with dress primarily like this:

While I tend to dress a little bit more like this:

So what do I do?

Put a twinset on and call it a day?

I'm sorry but everyone is still going to think i'm strange. I'm still going to have tangerine colored roots in my hair, and I'm still going to be how I am... So I've got to figure out how to bridge the gap. How to still maintain my individuality, while not scaring the other party patrons and not get arrested. *wut*

So I went to Nordie's today and tried on a couple things...

1. This pewter gray frock by Max Studio.
 I don't think it's cut for my height. I think the ruched portion is hitting my body a little high. And it's too bad because I thought this dress was killer and I love a little *fit and flare* in my life.

2. The green and white cotton dress.
 This fits my body well. The waist and that seaming is hitting exactly where it's supposed to. HOW IS THIS HAPPENING? THIS NEVER HAPPENS. there must be something wrong, like the machine broke and things went awry or something. But I felt it was too summery? What do you think? Of course I'll wear it with colored tights (probably bright pink) boots and a cardigan.

3. This green and black textured stunner.
 OOoooooh, I like this one! I think the texture is awesome. I love the patterning on it. So rad! I think it's super versatile. I could wear it in summer, fall, winter with a jacket. it's awesome. And for an ever BETTER TREAT, check this out....
 OMG! how is this waist seam hitting at MY ACTUAL WAIST. HOW HOW HOW?? IT'S A CHRISTMAS MIRACLE!!

4. This LBD with print on the front and the back.
 I think this is really flattering, and fits very well. It's a silhouette that I do not select often. I don't usually go with a fitted skirt, but I guess I should, right? YOLO!
I was worried that this is TOO conservative, and not me. but it's a nice dress and I think I could wear it to a variety of things, but I don't know if it's really me??

WHAT SHOULD I DO!?

No comments:

Post a Comment