Friday, March 14, 2014

The threshold of Swimsuit shopping

So we've had a couple intermittently warm days lately, and it's MARCH for the love of god, so we all start thinking, "OHHHH I CAN'T WAIT TIL SUMMER."

and summer means... SWIMSUITS!!!!!

There was a time when I loved these days, still cold, but huddling with my girlfriends in a dressing room trying on bikinis with the least square centimeters of coverage, our skin amaretto-brown from the blaze of the tanning bed bulbs. 

We wanted to be glamourous! Like Raquel!


Or Ursula! My god is she perfect.

But then 2 years ago, a couple of these were found on my back:
I know I've shared this story so many times, because it's so bizarre. you can read one of them here (click here)
but even though I've talked about it, every time I think about exposing a lot of my skin to the sun, a terror rises inside me. I have been told by my doctor, DO NOT EXPOSE YOUR SKIN TO THE SUN. But living on the beach, with kids that love to swim, it's just so hard.

AND, since I've got this rockin body:
I mean, sheeeiiiiiit, who wouldn't want to show that off?? lmao.

So i think I found something this year. Last year my wonderful sister/friend Stacey got me this rashguard:
which is perfect, but it's *sooooooo second skin tight* I feel like a superhero in it. and the high neck, i have a thing about that, it feels so chokey.

So i thought I could get maybe a zip-neck one, and found this one by rip curl:
which gives me complete back coverage (which is where I had my lesions), and with the short sleeves I believe will be a little bit more functional, and I love the zipdown at the neck. I don't know though, do I risk having all that arm skin exposed for VANITY sake? I did have one lesion removed on my forearm.
It's so weird. Such a strange struggle.

Growing up I never had a sunburn, EVER. My skin tone is like the beautiful Rihab El Haj (activist & President of the New Libya Foundation):
I would be this yellow-creamy tone in the winter and then could tan my skin this *majestic GOLDEN BROWN* in the summer, which was on-trend in the late 90's early 2000s.
Remember? Like Paris:
Not smart.

SO WEAR YOUR GODDAMN SUNSCREEN EVERYONE. I actually just skipped my 6 month check up this week since I was sick. But now that I'm writing this I'm going to resched that STAT. and if you have WEIRD MOLES or any weird spots at all REGARDLESS OF YOUR TANNING CAPACITY AND ETHNICITY GO TO THE FUCKING DERMATOLOGIST.

No comments:

Post a Comment