Friday, July 26, 2013

DIY *Black Rose* Brooch out of a Shimano Derailleur

The other day M and I were going for a stroll, and something shiny caught my eye, since I'm kind of like a raccoon. (I once found a diamond ring smashed to pieces in a parking lot the same way, with 10 salvageable diamonds)

REENACTMENT:

 It ends up that it is part of this alien looking thing:
Which is a derailleur (Thanks Teena!) for a mountain bike made by the Shimano company. I can't even imagine the epic crash that resulted in the bottom of this being ripped off in such a violent way and strewn on the side of Main Street.

My first thought was AWESOME! I'M USING THIS FOR *NOVELTY BROOCH FRIDAY*

WOOT WOOT!! It was dirty and greasy, so Stonewash soaked it in Lemon Juice, which just works awesome to clean ancient things that we find in the walls of the house. It really got in all the nooks and crannies.

Then I hot-glued a brooch back on the only flat part of the device:

VOILA!!! I think it looks so rad.

The gear-y things still move, which makes it only cooler.
It is pretty darn heavy for it's size so it needed a pretty strong fabric to mount to. This white tuxedo jacket from H&M was perfect.
By the way: M took this shot and she said to pretend like I'm carrying two buckets of flowers.

No comments:

Post a Comment