Sunday, December 30, 2012

My 2012 GoodReads Challenge

Was a fail.

I challenged myself to read 15 books this year... and I read 9.

I'll explain why I didn't manage to complete this challenge later on. But first, I'm going to just recap what I did actually read*.
  1. Amy & Roger's Epic Detour by Morgan Matson - 3/5 | Review
  2. Paper Towns by John Green - 4/5 | Review
  3. The Fault in our Stars by John Green - 5/5 | Review
  4. Lola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins - 4/5 | Review
  5. Bonk: The Curious Coupling of Science and Sex by Mary Roach - 3/5 | Review
  6. Divergent by Veronica Roth - 5/5 | Review
  7. A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin - 4/5 | Review
  8. The Land of Stories: The Wishing Spell by Chris Colfer - 5/5 | Review
  9. The Life of Pi by Yann Martel - 5/5 | Review
The stand-out book for me was The Fault in our Stars. Basically, John Green is a master of words. It makes you laugh and cry (like, ugly-sobbing-type crying) in equal measures. If this gets made into a film... I think I might skip wearing makeup.

The surprise read was The Life of Pi. The only reason I started reading it was because, last year, with the iTunes 12 Days of Christmas, I got it free, and one time at work, I had nothing to do so I started reading. And it was well worth it.

So, why didn't I finish the challenge?

One word: fanfiction.

If fanfiction was included in this challenge, I definitely would have completed it. Like, 10 times over. As it is, it isn't and I didn't so...

For 2013, I'm going to aim a little more realistic, with 12 books. Father Christmas was very kind, and I now have a Kindle to read on, so I have no excuse. Hopefully, this time next year I'll be writing about how I completed this challenge, and maybe even surpassed it?


*I've linked each book title to the appropriate Amazon UK page, and to my reviews of the books (either on GoodReads or on this blog).

No comments:

Post a Comment