Thursday, May 9, 2013

My Favorite Punk Fashion of All Time.

So as everyone knows, the Met Gala was this week, with the **PUNK- Chaos to Couture** theme. We saw so many celebrities flounder with the concept of punk. Many interpreting it as some sort of Neo-Gothy-Hot-Topicy-Black-Eyeliner thing. 
Sienna Miller, below, did one of the best versions of "Punk Style" with her cutesy, pristine spiked jacket and headband. I guess that is punk... At least one version of it. 

As a life-long lover of Punk music. I was thinking hard about what "Punk Style" is to me. My favorite era of punk music was the early 80s American Hardcore, and hilariously enough, at that time "Punk Rockers" mostly did not wear the stereotypical spikes and chains and mohawks. They mostly were just cute boys with "I don't give a crap" style. Like this:

Milo Aukerman of the Descendants

HR of the Bad Brains

Henry Rollins when he was in Black Flag (I LOVE the black jogging shorts look)

Ian MacKaye of Minor Threat

At the Met Gala, I think a lot of the illuminati were channeling an earlier sort of Punk. I love this as well, but it's just so different. Like...

Joey Ramone in the late 1970s with the Moto Jacket (which a TON of Met Gala-ers did) super skinny jeans, cons and tight T. Such a great look.

The Johnny Rotten style is what I think most of the Gala attendees were trying to cop. This is a very literal look: spike belt, spikey hair, etc etc.
Sid and Nancy too, I wish someone would have worn ripped nylons, that would have been cool. 

Wendy O. Williams of the Plasmatics with her super amaze Mohawk. wayyyyyy cooler than SJPs.

Derek Blasberg should have done a "devil lock" like the Misfits, that would have been so awesome.

I think what I've always loved about *any* "Punk" style is the confidence and the *who gives a crap* attitude of the whole thing. Take me as I am. Not to get stupidly deep on this topic, but I don't think there is a way to dress punk, it's 1000% about the attitude, and I don't know if anyone brought it.

Also, what was up with all these girls doing this cornrow hairstyle? like January Jones (below)
and Cara Delevingne?
I have never seen anyone remotely punk rocking braids.

So long story short, I believe it was a SUPER FUN THEME and SO HAPPY THEY TRIED PUNK
Even though the all looked like vampires that got stranded on a deserted island with only BLACK FABRIC AND METAL SPIKES TO SURVIVE. ahhhaha.

I hope next year the theme is "Hip-Hop" I'm sure that will be equally hilarious.

No comments:

Post a Comment