Thursday, June 13, 2013

Liebster Award 2.0

The gorgeous, fashionable, wonderful Jenny at "A Fashionable Paradise" (check out her blog here, it's awesome) nominated me for a Liebster Award!!, which is an award that bloggers give to other bloggers for being awesome bloggers. **HUGGIE POOSIES SKINNSIES!!**

So in accepting this award... She asks me some questions... And HERE THEY ARE. (put your seatbelt on and get ready for my mind-blowingly earth-shattering answers)


1. What do you think is an overlooked issue in fashion that needs to be more openly discussed? 
Women AND MEN need to buy clothing in their correct size, no matter what that number is. The clothing size number should not cause you shame if it is high, nor cause you elation if it is low. We should all wear clothing that fits properly, and it will make you look your best. 
2. Where do you find inspiration, and what do you get inspiration for the most?
I would say that classic TV shows are my greatest inspiration. I have some sort of odd obsession with Bewitched, I dream of Jeannie, and Green Acres- the women of those shows were funny, happy, strong and beautiful. I think that's why they had such an impact on me.
3. If you could do anything in fashion, anything, what would it be?
Well I've been a model, and that is really fun, but I'm getting freaking old. I think now wardrobe styling for photo shoots would be what I would like to do. Styling can make or break a garment.
4. When did you first discover such a passion for fashion, and did you ever imagine you would hold that passion to the extent you do now?
Oh yeah, I've always been into clothes, and for as long as I can remember I've had a thrill in my heart to find amazing vintage pieces too. When I was in high school I was obsessed with thick high-waisted polyester flares which I would get at the thrift store. I always thought it was so amazing and profound to wear something that had another life before, especially in a completely different era.
5. Because fashionistas are often considered to be so one dimensional with their only direction being to the mall(total Clueless reference there), what characteristics do you most value in yourself?
I look at fashion as an art, and beauty as an aesthetic, not just clothing as a commercial product. So I think in that way, I'm just another type of artist. I love to see (especially vintage) garments as part of a story, and I can only imagine how that story went to the point that the piece entered my life. 
6. Social media is continuously changing the world around us, allowing everyone to access things at a rapid pace. What pros and cons do you think social media has had on the world of fashion?
A number 1: I LOVE being able to see Fashion Week shows in *realtime* on my computer. That is like the gift of the universe to me.
Another pro is that I can talk to other Fashion-Lovers from *ALL OVER THE WORLD* and I do! and get their feedback, see what they can show me, advice, tips on everything. I love it so much. 
A con would be that there are some people that see "fashion blogging" to be a way to elevate themselves and crap on the way everyone else in the world dresses. That is not cool. 
7. Outside of things fashion-related, what are your hobbies and ways you relax?
I have my awesome kids, and 99% of the time I am having tons of fun with them. I love to run, cook, read (Alice Munro is on the bedside table right now), travel with my husband, I still model on occasion (I'm modeling for Frippery Scarves tomorrow), shop OBVS!! I'm obsessed with animals and nature and I love to just lay back and look at clouds. hahha. 
8. If you had to defend fashion to someone close to you, what would you say? (e.g. if they said it’s shallow and that they’re surprised you’re into it)
I have had to defend fashion many times, and it saddens me, fashion is such a great expressive dynamic medium, there's place for all of us to enjoy it. I'm not a huge arguer, so I probably would just walk away from that person and then pity them, and also lambaste them on twitter.  
9. Do you feel reality television shows grant opportunities to aspiring fashion designers, stylists, etc. or more so give them their 15 minutes of fame?
You know... sometimes. Project Runway gave birth to some good designers, but I think shows like "Fashion Star" are just pushing a commercial moneymaking product and not trying to create fashion art. So in that sense, I do not like it. When watching Fashion Star you could just see what garments would get picked up, because it would be the ones that would be the most easily mass-manufactured, and that is not what fashion is to me.
10. If you could work with anyone in fashion, who would you choose? (you can choose up to two)
Janie Bryant, who is the costume designer for Mad Men. She does such an amazing job, there has never been a show with such a wonderful wardrobe.

and Giovanna Battaglia: editor of L'Uomo Vogue and contributor to W magazine- As a former model she's a beauty, she has the best style, and she's so creative.

11. What’s one fashion stereotype you want to set straight right now?
Not every woman wants to be "skinny", every body on earth can look fabulous in clothing. 
AND THEN.... I GET TO NOMINATE SOME FOLKS!!

My bloggy lovers:
Here are your questions:

1. What are the top three qualities you look for when selecting a piece of clothing for yourself?

2. What is your favorite decade for fashion and why?

3. Do you feel that you are a trend follower? or do you have an overarching personal style?

4. What 3 fashion people (living or dead) would you like to have dinner with?

5. If you could only bring one clothing item to a deserted island what would it be?

6. Your favorite city for fashion?

7. Who would you choose for your MET Gala 2014 date? Tom Ford or Karl Lagerfeld?

8. Do you think that cosmetic beauty and fashion go hand in hand, or are they complete different worlds?

9. Your dream store for an unlimited shopping spree?

10. How do you feel about status-y logos? (Like Chanel C's all over everything)

11. What is the most exciting aspect of fashion to you personally?

**WHOOP THERE IT IS!**

Enjoy, and thank you again @fashionistaJR !! **Lovies!**

No comments:

Post a Comment