Friday, September 28, 2012

Nails - DIY Asphalt

I may have gravely injured myself tonight while running, so i thought rather than do all the crazy stuff i usually do after the kids go to bed, i'll do nails. My "Rothko" mani was chipping anyways. A manicure lasts about 1-2 days for me with regular paint. I'm always painting, in the water, washing stuff, giving kids baths, etc. So it never lasts. I couldn't decide what color I wanted so i made one...

I wanted something dark. But sometimes a *straight up* Black looks rather harsh on my Lily-White hands, not that that is a bad thing, but not quite what i was looking for today. So i decided to temper the intensity of the black and try to make a deep gray shade. A contact case removed from the trash was perfect for a tiny welled palette, so i went ahead and mixed OPI "Mourning Glory" (a deep shiny black) with Zoya's "Bevin" when i thought the shade was perfect i painted it on. Seriously painting your nails out of this container was so wonderful. It reminded me of oil-painting for fine art purposes, mixing your shades and tones and sweeping them onto your brush to apply to your canvas (my nails)

The result was this: A Perfect Shade of Deep Deep Shiny Gray.
I'm so happy with it, i may never take ANY polish color for face value again. It's like having the whole kaleidoscope of tints at the tips of your fingers, literally.
Mix away, My Lovelies.

No comments:

Post a Comment