Saturday, January 19, 2013

Passion Post: I love Mid-Century Modern Design

The other day I was driving through a neighborhood in Bloomfield/Birmingham (?) OH MY LAWD I saw so many gorgeous Mid-Century Modern homes. Every one of them like a perfectly planned piece of sculpture that people actually live in, and they get to enjoy the perfection that describes the homes of that era. I salute you, MCM homeowners. :-)

Mid-Century Modern Architecture and Design is the epitome of beauty and function in my mind. There is nothing more perfect than the grand sweeping geometric lines, paired with touches of bright color, nouveau-space-age touches, and clean simplicity. 
I love so much about this span of time, from about the late 1950s to the early 1970s. Often times I think about why it is that I love it so much, all of the vintage clothing that I seek out and just must have are from this era, I love all of the movies from that era, I admire the actors and actress of that time. It just seems like 100% of everything was ideal. Sometimes I think it's because many happy times in my childhood were spent watching these shows on "Nick at Night":
 "Laugh-In"

"Green Acres"

 "Bewitched" 

and "I dream of Jeannie"

Fast Forward to 2012... We are in the unique position that we can move wherever we want. Where would we like to live? What would we like to do? I thought LET'S LIVE IN AN AMAZING, PIECE OF ART HOME. Fortunately, there are quite a few of these homes in Michigan. Only a day trip to look at them, we found a website called Michigan Modern (here check out some of the gorgeous homes for sale)
This one is in Midland, we came a gnats-nut-hair away from buying this thing. It was designed and built by the architect Robert Schwartz who was a student of the legendary Buckminster Fuller. He worked with the Dow Chemical Company on this home. It was created using a method of spiral spinning of styrofoam to create a shell. The interior of the home has 3 floors, none of which are attached to the shell. So you could literally lift the dome off, and the rest of the house would be free-standing. Here's an article about the house (click here). I have TONS of photos that I took of the house, if you'd like to see them let me know. The whole thing is AWESOME. Here's a few...

I LURVE the glass room dividers, with the cubist glass, and touch of color. The purple, floating, spiral staircase in the middle goes to each of the 3 floors. My kids were doing some Evel Knievel type maximum danger tricks on these stairs.

There are these giant half-moon shaped windows on the sides of the dome, as you can see Junior is chillin out in one of the PRICELESS original 1960s chairs. This home was filled to the gills with the most amazing furniture, and everything was so perfect. A trillion dollars in this original MCM furniture alone!
Midland is a FREAKING DISNEY WORLD of amazing MCM architecture. This **HOUSE** is the Alden B. Dow home and studio. If you haven't ever seen this place, GET IN THE CAR RIGHT NOW AND GO THERE. Here's their site (click here). IT IS SO INCREDIBLY BEAUTIFUL!! Everything is planned so meticulously. There's a room that was designed so it feels like you are relaxing in a BOAT!! omg. I was freaking the hell out in there. I seriously wanted to handcuff myself to it and never leave. 

So another home we loved and came within an Angstrom of purchasing was this one. Which we call the "Space House". This is in Traverse City, with gorgeous Bay Views. It was designed and built by an architect (I can't remember nor google the name, sorry) made of fiberglass panels. Everything about it is super energy efficient and if you feel like going to Mars for the day, you just **TAKE-OFF** zzzzzZZZOOOM INTO SPACE!!

 Look at the interior. ARE YOU KIDDING ME! SLAP ME! Custom Herman-Miller furniture made for the home. Btw, what the hell is that black safe and circular end table doing there? I kind of have a pet peeve of people not respecting the era of their home and keeping with that. I mean, get modern stuff, but have it go with the flavor and feeling of the home! JEEEEEZ!

M is radiating some Magic Space Energy Here. I still think one day we'll own this home, or the Midland one. I just have a feeling. They're for us.

So when I was looking for *Super-Rad Vintage Cuff Links* for Mr. Leyden in Royal Oak, I came across this store:
VERTU (website here)
514 South Washington Avenue  Royal Oak, MI 48067
(248) 545-6050

Look at this gorgeous Bureau. Like it belongs in the office of Sterling, Cooper, Draper, Price. For Sale! YOU CAN HAVE THIS. OMG. I love it. Love the lamps. Love the glass decanters.

 This was previously owned by Barbarella, that's obvious. Perfect to sit in when you're wearing a latex catsuit, matching boots and GIANT hair.


 This chair, I picture two people sitting in it and having a really intense conversation. Like it begins with talking, and then they are screaming at each other, and then it culminates with them making out.

 Do I need to say anything about this? It's SOLD by the way, so you can't have it. Neither can I and I'm super sad about that.

They also sell records at VERTU. Look what I found. This album called to me from across the room. It said, "You used to own me. You had this T shirt. You have owned 4 CDs of this album because you love it so much and they have gotten beaten into the ground from playing 12 million times per day." When I was looking at it, the dudes that worked there, said, "ohhh, you're a Minor Threat fan?" you could tell in their voice they thought not. And I stood there and SANG EVERY SONG OF THEIR ENTIRE DISCOGRAPHY AT THE TOP OF MY LUNGS. so there. #BOOM

Cutest chairs ever. These should be in the Dome Home from the top of this post. I think it'd be great to have these around a table, with a red one too. Super Cute. Like they would be in the Jetson's breakfast nook.

No comments:

Post a Comment