Thursday, August 30, 2012

Good Hair? Bad Hair? Why can't we accept our hair?

So I saw this commercial today, with the lovely Salma Hayek... She starts the commercial with this fabulous, polished, half up/half down hair style. But by the end of the commercial, after rolling through dairy fields, breaking into a 7-11, chasing down a milk truck... Ends up with her hair like this...


For those that don't know me well, this is the hair that I wake up with every morning.
It's as if in her desperation in trying to get her daughter some milk, her personality unfolds into this visceral, wild, cave-woman type entity that is best personified in hair like this.

I have dealt with hair-hate for some time. I used to work for a Dutch man that would constantly tell me how awful my hair looked in it's natural state, that when i applied and was accepted into a medical school in the Netherlands he said he would have his friend (a hairdresser) meet me at the airport to transform my coif into something more suitable. Because apparently the Dutch would rake me over the coals socially for having my hair look like nature intended.
I'm a pretty darned self-assured cookie. So i laughed this off. But I knew he wasn't really kidding. Sometimes just for kicks I would soak my hair in Vitamin E oil overnight and then painstakingly take 2 hours straightening it, and would walk into my clinic with shiny, straight hair. On those days it was like I walked off a cloud. "OH YOUR HAIR LOOKS SO GREAT!" "IT'S SO GLOWY IN THE SUN!"

I don't understand why curly textured hair is labeled: Bad, Wild, Crazy. And straight all of those opposites. Constantly in movies and TV the female protagonist will start off with curly, "wild" hair.... Such as Carrie Bradshaw from Sex and the City...


But then... as she becomes more savvy and sophisticated, the hair smooths into something like this...


In my mind the above hair just is several hours of my life wasted, yeah it's pretty... But also all the stuff you have to do to smooth your hair is so damaging! Why can't we just accept curly textured hair for what it is?

I was thinking about the Renaissance Era recently, and many of the lovely women that were portrayed in art of that era had these wavy, voluminous flowing locks...


At that time it seemed to me that this type of hair conveyed freedom and love and passion, like lovely wavy wisps cascading down the body. It's hair that you just want to flow, you may want to touch, you know the woman that wears it is happy and comfortable.

So I'm sure that there are many women that don't want to put away their flat irons and japanese straightening treatments, but I'd just like my hair texture to not be demonized. To stop being something that MUST BE CONTAINED. To stop being ALL of the "before" shots in hair product commercials. I like mine the way it is. 


(Yep, that's my hair on the Left.) AND I LOOOOOOVE IT!!! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment